Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Tumultuous Lexicon

Since childhood, we (as in my gang of close friends and I) were men of simple taste. Being from middle class families and brought up in a no fun city like Delhi (0 Rs. = 0 Fun) meant that our sources of recreation were quite limited. Making the situation grimmer was the ever present fear in our heads to do well at studies and excel at engineering entrances, even if it meant letting go of all other hobbies and leisure activities. Although these activities were not much, mostly cricket, books, television and daydreaming, but they were the only available means to derive pleasure. Well, this post is not about regretting the limited amusement resources we had in our school days but to celebrate what we did with the little at our disposal. The credit for most of it goes to Aman though, for he is the creative mind behind what I want to discuss. As the topic suggests I am referring to the conversations and the underlying language that we came up with which had become our new source of laughter and fun in whatever free time we got or even when we came together for something more serious (atleast per our folks!). I still remember how we spent hours (and sometimes days) at each other’s homes working on assignments, projects or just hanging out and pretending to study while we were dishing out fresh words and sentences using our new found grammar while simultaneously wiping tears of laughter.

For the prudence of incumbents, the language was a bit vulgar but never in the same taste as to what people think of when they discuss Delhi and its inhabitants. I know it’s a vulgar city especially for women and even though it is the capital of the country, its still one of the most hypocritical societies around. That has basically left a gap between the male and female populace which studies together in various schools within the city but tends to fail in growing up as a properly mixed, friendly and mutually respectful social group. Coming back to my topic, although we were in such surroundings and the lingo we devised was a bit vulgar, it was never used disgracefully against any specific person or a particular sex as such. It was always limited to usage between us friends and was understood to be a source of merry times only! But boy did we laugh and enjoy speaking that tongue…..in fact we still do when ever we talk online, on the phone or in person. It is something which connects us, making us feel special within the company of close friends.

I know you readers are getting impatient as to what is this lingo that I keep talking about over and over again. Well folks, I am extremely sorry to say that I can’t disclose the nature of this secret code of communication. It’s not just about breaking an unspoken pact between my friends but it’s also about the shock that might set upon when you imagine me uttering such words. So let’s just close this conversation by summing up that it is my special remembrance from childhood while in retrospect other kids got parties, cultural activities, dating and expensive sports which for us looked good only on TV. Even if it sounds ridiculous when compared to such activities, I can assure you that it meant the best laughs in the world to us. Truly amazing what an undying need could do in terms of pushing your creativity and self expression!

3 comments:

Deepali Jamwal said...

hilarious!!! inspires me to write abt my skool days... which btw was decent and naughty and didn't include any of ur vulgar languages. Didn't know Aman initiated it all... next time u use 'dat' word for a girl, Aman has had it :)

ashish@greatwhitenorth said...

I know your childhood experience was totally opposite of mine .... in fact I should claim that you belonged to the other group of kids I described in my post :)

Note - 'dat' word has no connection with Aman :)

Shilpa Malhotra said...

Be it the vulgar lingo or secret code, you cherish the barrier shedding when with 'close friends'. It's a mix of relief and the breaking free while just being yourself (with the barrier shed) in an otherwise artificial world.

Shield it, hold it, proect it boy and always treasure it.

Welcome to India.